[B-Greek] Definition of "parsing"

Eric Inman eric.inman at wescorpflex.com
Thu May 14 22:12:35 EDT 2009

Terminology can vary, but often with formal languages parsing consists of
two stages: lexical parsing and syntactic parsing (or lexical analysis and
syntactic analyis). Lexical parsing determines how characters should be
grouped into tokens, i.e. words, punctuation, white space, etc. This can
also be referred to as tokenizing. Syntactic parsing determines how tokens
should be grouped into a hierarchy of other structures, including sentences.

With natural languages I've seen some use it exclusively for verbs and some
use it more generally.

Thus many Greek students will likely have encountered different definitions
and usages of this word and anyone using this word needs to just explain
carefully what they happen to mean by it. My preference would be to use its
general meaning and add a qualifier (verb parsing, noun parsing, sentence
parsing, etc.) to refer to something more specific.

Eric Inman