[B-Greek] 1Tim5:9 - woman of one man (TLG check)

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu May 14 20:22:23 EDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Steven Cox wrote:

> First - test to see if I am subscribed.

Yes, you are subscribed -- again, after lo these many years, and
daring to follow up on a question from 17 years ago when this list was
still in its "puppy" days! Welcome back!

> Second - greetings to any still on the list who may remember me from
> 1995-1999. As a linguist from another field (oriental languages) I
> benefited enormously from the depth and range of knowledge on this
> list. Particularly grateful personally to Edward, Carl and Edgar but
> to many others too.
>
> Third - I have tried to search within B-Greek archives using Google,
> perhaps not well.
> Did anyone ever follow on this post from 1992 to conduct a TLG check
> on
> 1T 5:9  -- enos andros gunh (excluding patristic texts)
> http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/archives/greek-1/msg00199.html

My own search of the archives doesn't find any follow-up on the
question.

> Fourth - I know b-greek isn't really the place for a Latin resources
> question, but I'm a technophobe and have been on Mars for the last
> few years, so please forgive this. Is there a way of conducting a
> search string on "UNIUS VIRI UXOR" (whole phrase) among the Latin
> materials on Perseus?

"univira" is, I think, a not uncommon adjective of praise on epitaphs
of Roman women.  There's an echo of this in the celebrated elegy of
Propertius on Cornelia:

Propertius 4.12.67-68:
  filia, tu specimen censurae nata paternae,

             fac teneas unum nos imitata uirum.