[B-Greek] Present tense for future events (was 1 John 1.9)

Eddie Mishoe edmishoe at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 00:26:47 EDT 2009

John:

I have to be honest and say I really don't understand what is driving your question. You state: Iver refers to ‘deictic center’ as a theoretical construct.

I can't imagine Iver or anyone stating this. The deictic center is a word or phrase that establishes some point on the time line. There is nothing 'theoretical' about a deictic center, nor is it an advanced concept. English is no different. Native English users, even if unknown to them, use deictic centers on a daily basis.

Your analogy tells me that you have yet to study much about Tense and Verbal Aspect. And your other stated concerns really seem to be asking 'What good is it if we discuss something very technical or advanced out here on B-Greek since many list members are beginners? This is almost an inappropriate question.

This site (B-Greek) is for people at all levels of Greek, from beginners to scholars. Beginners will have to accept the fact that they are not ready to get too deep into Verbal Aspect. When someone posts a topic that they (beginners) don't understand, it will help them to read it and try to get as much out of an advanced discussion as they can. For the scholars out here, they may be asking questions that people who have a good understanding of biblical Greek can't understand. The goal is not to communicate at the lowest common denominator. Scholars oftentimes communicate with other scholars, and us neophytes have to recognize this and try to learn from them the best we can do.

Anyway, don't worry if a technical question is asked, even a question at an advanced level of Greek. In other words, I would not try to degrade people out here who have a more advanced understanding than others. We just need to try our best to learn from them.

I think you would do yourself a favor if you read the FAQ page.

Eddie Mishoe
Pastor