[B-Greek] Rev 21.4 APERCOMAI

Mitch Larramore mitchlarramore at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 22:58:12 EDT 2009

Taken from the NET Bible, Revelation:

21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had CEASED TO EXIST*,

21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will not exist any more – or mourning, or crying, or pain, for the former things have CEASED TO EXIST*.

* For the translation of ἀπέρχομαι (apercomai; here ἀπῆλθαν [aphlqan]) L&N 13.93 has “to go out of existence – ‘to cease to exist, to pass away, to cease.’”

I read an article on this word APERCOMAI, and the use of this word, especially in vs 4. The thrust of the argument was that APERCOMAI means for some events of reality to "go out of existence." He then argued that for tears, death, pain, etc. to "go out of existence" would require a divine act whereby the reality behind these tears, death, pain, etc. goes out of existence by some kind of "divine reversal."

That seemed strange to me until he gave an analogy that got me thinking. He likened it to our waking up because of a bad dream/nightmare. Once we wake up, we realize that the dream is not part of reality. To make this short, what do you think about the idea that the tragic, evil things that have taken place in our lives will "go out of existence" in a way similar to the apparent reality of a nightmare "going out of existence" when we wake up? We essentially move from one level of reality (mental) to another level of reality (actual). When God removes all tears, death, pain, etc. he simply moves us from one level of reality (actual, sinful world) to another level (supernatural) so that the supernatural level of reality makes the actual, sinful, tragic events of this life "go out of existence" as we move from one level to another.

Mitch Larramore
Sugar Land, Texas