[B-Greek] "hESTWTA" (Acts 7:55 + 56)

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:55:19 EDT 2009

> "hUPARCWN DE PLHRHS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU ATENISAS EIS TON OURANON EIDEN
> DOXAN QEOU KAI IHSOUN hESTWTA EK DEXIWN TOU QEOU KAI EIPEN, IDOU
> QEWRW TOUS OURANOUS DIHNOIGMENOUS KAI TON hUION TOU ANQRWPOU EK
> DEXIWN hESTWTA TOU QEOU" (Acts 7:55 + 56).
>
> Does "hESTWTA" (twice here) imply that Stephen saw Jesus STANDING at
> God's right hand, or not necessarily?

If your question is about the aspect of ESTANAI to be standing, then yes,
ESTWTA is open-ended 'standing',
even though it is  PARAKEIMENH/perfect-stative.

Idiomatically, Koine did not use *ISTASQAI by itself for 'to be standing'
but used the perfect active forms in place of the continuative middle.
Go figure. :-)

background:
Both the tense/aspect usage of this verb and its transitivity are
often mislearned in
first and second year Greek classes because of paradigms where the active
STHSAI   ISTANAI is glossed 'to stand'
or more commonly ISTHMI the first person present is glossed 'I stand'.

This is easily corrected in any dictionary, where aorist
STHSAI  (cont.  ISTANAI) should be glossed 'to stand something up, set up ...'

with an intransitive being listed as aorist STHNAI perfect ESTANAI (no
PARATATIKH)
ESTHKA 'I am standing, have stopped moving'.

If the student has learned ISTHMI = Eng.  'I stand',
it takes some time and energy to undo/expand/redefine.

If this wasn't your question, just forgive the above note.

ERRWSO
IWANHS
--
Randall Buth, PhD