[B-Greek] 2Pet. 1:17-18 FWNHS ENECQEISHS AUTWi

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Tue May 12 23:53:20 EDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 6:45 PM, Mark Lightman wrote:

> I like your reading.  V. 16 refers to the eye (ear) witnesses, so
> the GAR
> in v. 17 implies a message FOR Jesus but TO the witnesses.

I see a potential problem with reading the dative as marking a
beneficiary, it breaks the metaphor.

>  The metaphor(?) appears to account for the fact that messages were
> transported from one place to another by a messenger who carried the
> verbal message or the written document.

The metaphor of travel would seem to require the dative to mark
direction. But the metaphor is already ancient by the time it is used
here, so I am not sure if this is a serious objection.

Elizabeth Kline