[B-Greek] Future Deponent

David Sigrist bigdave641 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 08:55:07 EDT 2009

A few thoughts about deponents verb forms.

Just in general, and more specifically concerning future deponents;
Why do they exist in the first place? And, how did it come about that
with a verb like PINO for example (there are many examples), that only
in the future tense there is a deponent form? What about a future idea
made this develop in the Greek mind do you think?

I know deponents also exist in Latin, and as a fluent Spanish speaker
it's common for many verbs of motion to speak in a "passive" sense
(acercarse, por ejemplo). But in Greek and Latin this manner of
speaking, for lack of a better phrase, isn't limited to verbs of
motion.

And if/when we answer this, is there really no nuance or distinction
to be made from deponents forms versus active forms? Maybe there
isn't! I just wonder sometimes.

Thanks,
David J. Sigrist