[B-Greek] Why insist on wrong when not necessary and with no advantage?

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:09:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Nicholas Aggelopoulos
<n_aggelopoulos at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On the "fricatization" of beta and gamma, there may be room for rethinking:
>
> 1. The digamma spelled as gamma by Hesychius is also found as B in Cretan
> epigraphy (eg BAKUNQOS ΒΑΚΥΝΘΟΣ) and as F (in FAKSOS FΑΚΣΟΣ). It was
> probably a fricative-like sound.
>
> 2. In Greek we have cognate words such GERWN ΓΕΡΩΝ (elder) vs hIERWN ΙΕΡΩΝ
> (priest), or GERA ΓΕΡΑ (honours) vs hIERA ΙΕΡΑ (sacred) which suggests that
> the gamma was similar to the aspirated iota, leading to parallel spellings.
> Parallel spellings are found in such English words as sense vs census vs
> science where the situation hints not at three distinct pronunciations of c,
> s and sc but that the three were at the very beginning of establishment of
> English spellings equivalent and in some situations interchangeable.
>
> 3. I believe it was you who pointed out that EUDOMOS ΕΥΔΟΜΟΣ rather than
> EBDOMOS ΕΒΔΟΜΟΣ appears by mistake in a 3rd C BC inscription and RAUDOUS
> ΡΑΥΔΟΥΣ instead of RABDOUS ΡΑΒΔΟΥΣ (2nd C BC; Gignac 1976:68,n.1).
>
> Nikolaos Aggelopoulos

I'm not sure I follow. Are you implying that gamma was a fricative "gh"/"y"
already in the second millenium BCE?
And also beta was a fricative 'bh'/'v' [i.e., bilabial fricative
without using IPA]
was a fricative before the times of the Judges of Israel?

The problem would be the need to correlate to the Semitic languages, the
development of IndoEuropean, and the borrowing of the Semitic alphabet,
all of which seem to point to 'g' and 'b' as the first sounds in Greek.

ERRWSO ερρωσο
Ιωανης IWANHS