[B-Greek] Translating Hebrews 13:4

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 14:59:00 EDT 2009

As Elizabeth noted, the passage as a whole is hortatory.  In v. 1 we see μενέτω MENETW, a 3rd sg impv, and in v. 2 ἐπιλανθάνεσθε EPILANQANESQE, a 2nd pl impv.  It is necessary to understand ἔστω ESTW, the pres 3rd sg impv of εἰμί EIMI, as noted by Attridge and Koester in the Hermeneia commentary.  There is thus good reason to supply this form due to the preceeding.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.