[B-Greek] Fw: 1 John 1.9 Ed Glasscock in latest BibSac

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 18:25:07 EDT 2009

Yes, I answered him.  I told him that it depends upon the verb in question and the normal way in which it is used.  Some verbs imply an ongoing activity rather than a single act ("to go" or "to come" rather than "to die") and therefore may contain a futuristic aspect.  Either type may be used in the manner of the other.  It is therefore incorrect to simply state that a present tense verb automatically indicates an ongoing activity.  In regard to hOMOLOGEW it may simply be a case of confessing a particular wrongdoing rather than continually confessing.  It could also be iterative or customary use (rather than an ongoing activity something on the order of "Every time we confess …") so that it may well refer to a repeated practice (rather than a continued activity).  The type of verb being considered as well as the context in which it is used must be considered.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.