[B-Greek] Why insist on wrong when not necessary and with no advantage?

Jeffrey T. Requadt jeffreyrequadt_list at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 08:54:00 EDT 2009

I think also that some posts have been at different purposes. I don't think even Randall is saying that Erasmian (or as he calls it, Astarteanism, although I missed why at some point, since my knowledge is fairly limited) is somehow morally wrong, and that if you've learned it you should immediately unlearn it, or that if you can understand it, you should try not to. I don't think he's saying that learning Erasmian means that you can't understand anything properly. It doesn’t seem like he's attacking USERS of the Erasmian system, but rather the academic system that continues to "foist" it on learners, probably by the simple virtue that it's what the system has always done for the past several centuries. For example, this new thing that Logos software is coming out with. For a company that touts itself as a user-friendly Bible software programmer (whose program I regularly use), I might have expected them to go the extra mile and make sure that the pronunciation that was going to be used would be historically accurate, instead of just following what "everyone" has done for so many years.
Here's an analogy from a different educational field, math. In the US at least, there have been going on, for several decades now, the "math wars." Basically, it boils down to: Should we be teaching kids the steps to do the three-digit addition problem (start at the right, carry the number, keep going, etc.), or should we be teaching them to understand what the problem means, and several different ways that they could solve it, even if one of them is not the traditional way of lining the numbers up vertically and doing it that way? Or another analogy would be the "reading wars." That one comes down to the same idea: should we be teaching kids to read faster and faster and sound out words, or should we be teaching them to use lots of different mental processes and strategies while they are reading, thus actually slowing them down a little?
In both cases, the first group feels/thinks/knows that the second group is ruining education for kids, trying to push a lot of fluffy feel-good nonsense on them. The second group feels/thinks/knows that actually they are training kids' minds and providing them with many more tools to think mathematically and to read effectively. I'm not saying which groups I find myself in (although you could probably infer by reading carefully what I've written), but I will say that both groups could do a much better job of listening to each other and effectively communicating their understandings and concerns to each other (and to the public).
I think perhaps the same thing is happening with the Lightman/Buth (as representatives of their views) debate. Maybe the Buth people should listen very carefully to the concerns of the other group (maybe they are?) and find a better way to explain their point of view. Maybe the Lightman people should listen very carefully to the concerns of the other group, and think carefully about why they have come to their conclusions--are they just trying to change everything, do they have good reasons, etc.--and maybe find a better way to support the Erasmian system, which from what I understand has no real historical basis anymore. I think it used to, since it seems to be Erasmus's (and followers') best shot at how ancient Greek sounded. I guess the question is, would Erasmus do the same thing in today's world, knowing so much more about languages and having so many more manuscripts available (not to mention the chance that he could actually visit Greece)?

Perhaps I would summarize the Buth view as "why continue to push something on students (and on the academic world) that only inhibits their ability to learn Greek?" and the Lightman view as "why stop a system that has worked for so long and doesn't have any flaws that other systems don't have?" That's my version of the two sides, so I hope both of them would find it fair.

Jeffrey T. Requadt