[B-Greek] Why insist on wrong when not necessary and with noadvantage?

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Wed May 6 03:29:28 EDT 2009

You cannot blame Erasmus for some of these things.  Erasmus, and following
him the English classicists, pronounced A and O as distinct sounds, and EI
was pronounced as spelt - a diphthong made up of E + I.  They did the same
with OU : O + U.  Most European languages at the time could distinguish
between O and W either by length or by pronouncing the first as a close /O/
the second as an open /O/.  What you are talking about is a scheme followed
by American classicists many years later.  Erasmus made some mistakes, but
lets not blame him for those things he knew nothing about.

Kevin Riley