[B-Greek] 1 John 1.9 Ed Glasscock in latest BibSac

Timothy Mitchell taztimmitchell at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 11:47:04 EDT 2009

I look at the present tense more in the way of showing an event or action as 'inprocess' [1]. The whole flow of though of 1:5-10 seems to be referring to an event that is in the process of happening. I think that John is showing a scenario 'in process' that his readers can place themselves into. My personal opinion is that the idea of the present showing a 'habitual' action is not imbedded in the present tense itself, but rather is found in the context of usage. It appears to me that seeing 1 John 1:9 as a 'habitual' confessing is motivated more by a theological persuasion rather than Greek Grammar 'per se'. ___________________________________________________________________________

[1] Wallace, Daniel B.. Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 1996.