[B-Greek] 1 John 1.9 Ed Glasscock in latest BibSac

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 09:01:15 EDT 2009

While it is true that the pres ind can indicate an ongoing process, I don't see that one can say that it would imply a continual process.  Take for example Mk 2.16

6καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς τῶν Φαρισαίων ἰδόντες ὅτι ἐσθίειμετὰ τῶν ἁμαρτωλῶν καὶ τελωνῶν ἔλεγον τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ·ὅτι μετὰ τῶν τελωνῶν καὶ ἁμαρτωλῶν ἐσθίει;
6 KAI hOI GRAMMATEIS TWN FARISAIWN IDONTES hOTI ESQIEI META TWN hAMARTWLWN KAI TELWNWN ELEGON TOIS MAQHTAIS AUTOU, hOTI META TWN TELWNWN KAI hAMARTWLWN ESQIEI?

Are we to here understand that the scribes are asking whether Jesus ALWAYS CONTINUES to eat with "tax collectors and sinners"?  Do we not have accounts of Jesus eating with the scribes themselves? I get a bit concerned when I hear pronouncements that a particular tense is used in X manner as though it is always and only used in that manner.  I think we need to attempt to establish how a tense in used in each instance (which might differ from one passage to another).  I don't recommend a "Theology of the Tenses."  What we have in Mk 2.16 is not a question regarding an ongoing or continual act but rather a question regarding an iterative or customary act -- "Is he in the habit of eating … ?"
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.