[B-Greek] language pronunciation

Leonard Isaksson leonardo1orchardcity at mac.com
Tue May 5 08:12:32 EDT 2009

An interesting and humorous contribution you have put in here.
Recently I have listened again to Gregory Nagy reciting the first few
lines of Homer's Iliad, and also Stanley Lombardo doing the same.  For
me, with Lombardo, one can more recognise some of the Greek words,
without having a text of Homer sitting to read.   He reads with a more
recitative type of manner, where Nagy seems to have phrasing that is
more conversational.  For most folks, unless we are familiar with the
Greek text enough that it is stored in memory, we will have to read
along with a text in front of us.

Yes, one can understand Phemester as she reads.

  Catherine Freis also has a more understandable way of speaking(she
teaches classical Greek), too, although there are just a few excerpts
on her pages.  Freis students enjoy the conversation that is injected
into class.

As an old teacher of Greek said "It is good to have Greek inside you."

I would have to say that I prefer to hear Zodhiates read the NT, or the
  Buth pronunciation, or a Greek service at worship.  It is pleasant to
hear a living language.

The only criticism that I have of your humane post is that one should
not call these efforts at Erasmian types of pronunciation American
Greek.  If you meet Greeks who are Greek Americans, who speak modern
Greek, such as teach at  Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary, then you
have  a modern living Greek pronunciation.  I know some are American,
and some are Greek.

It would be better to call it something else.

I do not think it is political correctness to say that.  Any speaking
of another language will probably have a thick portion of one's native
speech, or speech accents, as well as one's own individual
peculiarities.