[B-Greek] TETRAGWNOS

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 19:11:14 EDT 2009

καὶ ἡ πόλις τετράγωνος κεῖται καὶ τὸ μῆκος αὐτῆς ὅσον [καὶ]τὸ πλάτος.καὶ ἐμέτρησεν τὴν πόλιν τῷ καλάμῳ ἐπὶ σταδίων δώδεκα χιλιάδων, τὸ μῆκος καὶ τὸ πλάτος καὶ τὸ ὕψος αὐτῆς ἴσα ἐστίν.
KAI hH POLIS TETRAGWNOS KEITAI KAI TO MHKOS AUTHS hOSON [KAI] TO PLATOS KAI EMETRHSEN THN POLIN TWi KALAMWi EPI STADIWN DWDEKA XILIADWN, TO MHKOS KAI TO PLATOS KAI TO hUYOS AUTHS ISA ESTIN

To understand τετράγωνος TETRAGWNOS as "cubic" rather than "square" is to impose an understanding of the term differing from that normally associated with it.  Yes, it does reference heighth as well as width and breadth, but I think this constitutes additional information rather than changing the meaning of the term itself.  It seems to me that κεῖται KEITAI is the solution to this question.  It "lies", i.e. has a footprint which is square.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.