[B-Greek] language pronunciation

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Sun May 3 18:45:12 EDT 2009

But do all, or even most, Americans who learn an Erasmian pronunciation
intend to only ever interact with other like-minded Americans?  Hasn't Greek
suffered enough already from those who think it is enough like something
else (whether Latin accentuation, or Latin grammar, or English/American
pronunciation) not to bother understanding it as it really was?  Greek
should not sound like American or English or French, or Spanish or Italian
or anything else.  It should sound like Greek.  If we follow your argument
for pronunciation, why not for grammar as well?  Or even for the meaning of
words?  It would certainly make learning Greek easier if we could assume a
one-to-one correspondence between Greek words and English words.

Kevin Riley