[B-Greek] Help with Hebrews 4:2

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 17:52:21 EDT 2009

Alan,

This is a good quesiton, I hope the first of many from you.

This is an instance where I would apply the "Conrad rule of
medio-passivity" which states that if a verb CAN be construed
as a middle, if should be, or, unless a verb HAS to be construed
as a passive, it should be construed as a middle.  I think the basis
of the Conrad rule is that the passive is a later development from
the middle.  Not that there is any thing wrong with taking
SUGKEKERASMENOUS as a passive.  The Conrad rule is a
rule, not a commandment.

Mark L.