[B-Greek] Didache's use of Apostles/Prophets to Apostle/Prophet

Mitch Larramore mitchlarramore at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 14:25:16 EDT 2009

I saw in the archives that a topic of this nature was "CLOSED' but I don't think I'm after anything controversial or theological.

We are all reminded in GGBB the rules of Granville Sharp, particularly the plural use with personal nouns/substantives. So the Art/Subst./KAI/Subst, if the Substantives are plural (which therefore the Art will be plural), then these do NOT refer to the same group of people.

That said, I have a question about the use of this in the Didache with reference to PERI DE TWN APOSTOLWN KAI PROFHTWN in "chapter/section" 11. Although this chapter/section initially refers to TWN APOSTOLWN KAI PROFHTWN, it uses the terms interchangeably and then only refers to the PROFHTWN, the term APOSTOLOS no longer being used in this context.

For example, and I know some number this chapter/section differently, but in The Apostolic Fathers, edited by Holmes, we have in 11.6 EXERCOMENOS DE hO APOSTOLOS MHDEN LAMBANETW EI MH ARTON, hEWS hOU AULISTQHi EAN DE ARGURION AITHi, YEUDOPROFHTHS ESTIN.

So hO APOSTOLOS who leaves, if AITHi (he = APOSTOLOS) money, he (APOSTOLOS) is a false-"PROFHTHS," not a false-"APOSTOLOS." Here, the author starts with APOSTOLOS and concludes about this APOSTOLOS as being a YEUDOPROFHTHS.

Thus, my question is about the absolute nature of the plural pronouns in this "rule." I realize that Dr. Wallace states there is no known exception to this principal (with plural substantives), even in secular documents (I'm paraphrasing from memory), but how is it possible for the author of the Didache to use the initial plural terms interchangeably in the immediate section, switching to the singular. (The use of the two offices Elders and Deacons would seem to me to give it a very early date.)

Mitch Larramore
Sugar Land, Texas