[B-Greek] language pronunciation

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sat May 2 06:34:13 EDT 2009

On May 2, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Nikolaos Adamou wrote:

> <pronunciation "created" for them >
>
> this pronunciation was not created for the Greeks
> but rather to move away from them, not be able to communicate with
> them,
> and not accept that they have any relationship to do with the Greeks
> of the antiquity.
>
> <taught, and used, only in universities.>
> hopefully not for long time
> except if in universities we still want to be authoritative ...
>
> there is no music and login in that (Erasmian).
> If there is an E (e-psilon) then is there an AI (e-makron) if AI is
> not AI but αϊ

While I am certainly not a defender of the ongoing teaching of the
Eraasmian pronunciation, I must say that I think this characterization
of the motivation underlying the creation and promulgation of the
Erasmian pronunciation is questionable historically. We really do not
need to cloud issues of historical emergence of the Erasmian
pronunciation with notions of ethno-favoritism and ethno-hostility.