[B-Greek] Esperanto -- Re: language pronunciation

Kelwin Wylie greek at wylie.ca
Fri May 1 23:42:46 EDT 2009

Being a speaker of Esperanto, I can't resist responding to this.  Your
acquaintance might want to start learning another language.  There is an
active and growing community of Esperanto speakers world wide and the
internet is contributing to that growth.  It is allowing Esperanto
speakers to communicate with each other much more easily than before in
the same way as this mailing list is helping those of us interested in
Biblical Greek to interact.  Of the 266 languages that have wikipedias
written in them, the Esperanto wikipedia is number 22 in the number of
articles.

And to relate this to Biblical Greek - I studied Biblical Greek and
Hebrew and Esperanto in the 70s.  While raising a family and working, I
then neglected all three, partly due to lack of contact with others with
the same interests.  Finding on-line study groups for Greek and Hebrew
in 2004 got me back into both.  Shortly after I also established contact
with other Esperantists in my city via the internet.

I am very grateful to the people who set up, maintain and participate in
lists such as this b-greek list, as without them (you!) I would not
likely have re-established contact with other like-minded people and
maintained the rigour of the weekly assignments which have allowed me to
re-learn Greek and Hebrew and establish contact with other Esperantists.

And now, back to more fascinating discussions of things related to
Biblical Greek.

Kelwin Wylie