[B-Greek] Esperanto -- Re: language pronunciation

Sarah Madden sarah.r.madden at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:16:38 EDT 2009

Re. Esperanto --- a fellow language student (he had moved from Russia to the
States) once told me he had required his then-fiance to learn Esperanto
before they married so they would have their own "private language" to use
in public settings, He even read Shakespeare out loud to some of us, and his
marvelous accent probably made the unfamiliar sounds even more melodious. He
did mention that, since Esperanto was an artifically created language, it
does not yet have the same flexibility of a language used by real people in
real contexts over many centuries.  (P.S. He said that if he ever sensed
that there were enough people out there who started learning Esperanto and
could understand ther private conversations, he and his wife would then
learn yet another obscure language. Gone are the days when Pig Latin or
Double Dutch would suffice! At least, that's how my parents would speak in
riddles around us kids.)

Sarah ><>
Maryland
sarah.r.madden at gmail.com