[B-Greek] Etymology

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 17:59:52 EDT 2009

Sarah,

Yes, Carl is exactly right.

"Syniasticalized noun" is sort of a tongue-in-cheek term I came up with
to describe these substantives that begin with SUN or SUS or SUG or SUM or SUL.
Actually, most of these are adjectives which are often used as nouns.
It seems as if the only "syn words" listed as nouns are words that end in THS like
SUMPOTHS (drinking buddy) or TWP like SULLHPTWP ("accomplice")
or those ending in IA or something.  All the words in the passage from
Ephesians that Bill asked about are technically adjectives.

"Syniastical genitive" is me having a little fun with the multiplication of
categories to describe what sort of genitive something is.  But there is
as serious point.  Most of these words do "take" the genitive.  I noticed that
LSJ will sometimes add "TINOS" and sometimes not.  I wonder if any of
these words take the dative, as you might expect since SUN itself "takes"
the dative.  And I wonder if you have any interesting constructions where
a syntiastical word can take a genitive of the thing and a dative of the
person or the or visa versa.

Thanks for asking about this.  Greek can get so weird that it is
sometimes hard to tell if someone is joking or not.  And I spent
a little too much time last night with the SUMPOTAI.  :)

Mark L.
Μαρκος Φωσφορος