[B-Greek] translation strategies

Eddie Mishoe edmishoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 17:41:46 EDT 2009

Michael:

I just fundamentally disagree with you on your comment. To say that a purpose adnominal Genitive is not an issue of translation is very hard for me to even conceive what you are saying.

Another point that needs to be understood is that the original language may have categories totally unknown to the target language translators and readers. Translators will have to borrow categories from the original language, and create new categories in the target language. It is that simple!

I really believe that we have a long way to go in understanding the nuances of the Greek Genitive. [Has anyone tried to categorize any of the noun-adjective relations in any Cushitic language, how about the North-Central Xamtanga? The numbers may run up into the multiple hundreds!]

I watched a show in NG where they showed a tribal people whose language mixed common phonetic sounds with clicking, whistling, and other "unknown sounds." Some of the clicking-phonetic-clicking-clicking-phonetic words were not mastered by the tribal people until well into their adulthood. Communication can really get strange, and yet the Lord loves those tribal-clickers equally as much as he loves us.

Eddie Mishoe
Pastor