[B-Greek] TOIOUTOS

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 10:40:30 EDT 2009

Charles,

I happened to be reading Mt 18, the other day, and I actually think that
Carl gave you just the example of Excluding TOIOUTOS that
you were looking for. Verse 4 says you have to humble
yourself hWS TO PAIDION TOUTO, "like this child."
Then the next verse, which Carl quoted, refers to
to the person who receives hEN PAIDION TOIOUTO, "one
such child", or one "like this child,"  referring not to a child
at all, but to an adult who has humbled himself like a child.
I think in fact the child IS excluded from the comparison, as
are all children. Jesus is taking about adults.  And I would
agree with your friend's preacher's take on Luke 18:16 as another
example of Excluding TOIOUTOS.

A third example may be from Iliad 2:372:

αι γαρ Ζευ τε πατερ και Αθηναιη και Απολλον
τοιουτοι δεκα μοι συμφραδμονες ειεν Αχαιων

AI GAR ZEU TE PATER KAI AQHNAIH KAI APOLLON
TOIOUTOI DEKA MOI SUMFRADMONES EIEN ACAIWN

"O Father Zeus and Athena and Apollo, would that
there were to me among the Achaians ten counselors such
(as Nestor.")

You could argue that Nestor is excluded from Agamemnon's
wish, because he already has Nestor as a counselor.  He
wants men like Nestor, but not Nestor himself, just as in
your example the guy wants someone like his sister, but not his
sister himself, for a wife.  I doubt you will find an example as clear
as yours, but I think you could say in Koine.  ̔η αδελφη μου καλη.  θελω
γαμησειν τοιαυτην. hH ADELFH MOU KALH. QELW GAMHSEIN TOIAUTHN
and mean just what you mean.  This was probably said many times,
but just not left for us to read in the extant documents.

I'll keep looking for more examples of Excluding TOIOUTOS.  It's one
of the things I like about b-greek.  People raise issues and it gives you
something to look for in the future when you read.

Mark L.