[B-Greek] Etomology of euaggellion

Vasileios Tsialas tsialas78 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 21 04:35:38 EDT 2009

EPAGGELIA (declaration, promise) < EPI (on, giving emphasis) + AGGELIA

EUAGGELIO (good message) < EU (good) + AGGELOS (messenger)

AGGELIA (message) < AGGELOS (messenger) < unknown origin.

It is speculated, but not confirmed, that there is a relation with the Sanskrit angiras (messenger).

(source: Babiniotis' Dictionary of the Modern Greek Language)

Vasileios Tsialas

Athens, Greece