[B-Greek] Etomology of euaggellion

Sarah Madden sarah.r.madden at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 20:32:27 EDT 2009

Hi, Lauren,

Aren't both words cognates of AGGELOS ("message")? A great source for
cognates is Trenchard's *Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New *Testament,
which lists 22 cognates of AGGELOS on page 5. The book is fairly inexpensive
(under $20 new, and far less if it's used). *ISBN-13: *9780310226956. In
addition to cognates, the book also lists every word in the GNT (in order of
frequency) plus the principal parts of every verb in the GNT.

In your examples, "gospel" just adds the prefix "EU" ("good" thus "good
announcement") and EPAGGELIA adds the prefix "EPI" ("over," etc.) to somehow
create "I promise." But perhaps you were looking for something else in your
question?

Sarah ><>
sarah.r.madden at gmail.com
Maryland - USA