[B-Greek] "Attic Reduplication"

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 08:33:08 EDT 2009

Carl wrote:

 <Well, of course, there's ELHLUQA, which is not uncommon.>

You bet.  To recognize this as Attic reduplication you have to
know that the root is ELEUQ.  I guess you would call the
EU-U ablaut.  Are there other examples of EU becoming U,
or EU becoming anything other than HU?  Why isn't the form ELHLHUQA?

Carl: <They'll say, "If Attic Reduplication was good enough
 for St. Paul, it's good enough for me!">

Carl's humor can be dry and subtle, so in case you missed it,
he is revising here the old joke "If the King James Bible was good
enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me."  The earliest form of
this joke is actually found in the Talmud: "If the Septuagint was good
enough for Moses, it's good enough for me!"

Carl:  <ATR notes ANADIPLWSIS and DIPLASMIASMOS.>

Thanks.  I missed these.  Both are in LSJ and apparently
DIPLASIASMOS is still used in Modern Greek.  I guess the
re in reduplication answers to the ANA in ANADIPLWSIS, but
I'm still not sure what the force is.  I guess you could ask the
same about the re in "redouble your efforts."

But anyway, I have my new password:  "Homeric diplasmiasmos."

Mark L.