[B-Greek] TOIOUTOS

Charles Johnson cpj5117 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:11:11 EDT 2009

I am wrestling with the meaning of the pronoun TOIOUTOS. Louw-Nida gives as
one definition "like that." The word "like," though, if taken to mean
"similar to" or "resembling," points also to unlikeness. It can function to
exclude the first person from the class. If someone said, "I would like to
marry someone like my sister," we would naturally infer that he means
someone resembling his sister, but not her. So, the class is PEOPLE
RESEMBLING SISTER - SISTER.  However, I had been under the impression that
TOIOUTOS functioned by specifying a class. For example, in Acts 22:22, we
have AIRE APO THS GHS TOV TOIOUTON, where the primary referent is Paul. So,
the class would be PEOPLE RESEMBLING PAUL + PAUL. At other times, the class
can be specified more ideally, such as in John 4:23 -  hO PATHR TOIOUTOUS
ZHTEI TOUS PROSKUNOUNTOUS AUTON. Here an ideal referent is used, so I
suppose the class is just PEOPLE WHO WILL WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH.

So, is there ever a time where TOIOUTOUS is used exclusively, as in the
sister example?