[B-Greek] Absent Definite Article strips Personality from The Holy Spirit‏

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 22:20:45 EDT 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Carl Conrad wrote:

> Yes; even when PNEUMA means "wind," Jesus speaks of it in John's
> gospel as having a will of its own:
>
> John 3:8 τὸ πνεῦμα ὅπου θέλει πνεῖ καὶ
> τὴν φωνὴν αὐτοῦ ἀκούεις, ἀλλ᾿ οὐκ
> οἶδας πόθεν ἔρχεται
> TO PNEUMA hOPOU QELEI PNEI KAI THN FWNHN AUTOU AKOUEIS, ALL' OUK
> OIDAS POQEN ERCETAI
>
> Some PNEUMATA, moreover, are AKAQARTA,
>
> I'm not sure that a dichotomy of "conscious agent of some sort" and
> "inanimate force" is adequate for categorization of GNT usages of
> PNEUMA. It might come naturally to 21st-century sensibilities to to
> draw a distinction between "persons" and "things," but I wonder if
> it is appropriate to attribute the same sensibility to the authors
> of the GNT.

Thank you Carl,

You are right, it's a modernist thing, perhaps the neopagans will get
back to thinking like the ancients about this.

Mark 4:41 καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν φόβον μέγαν
καὶ ἔλεγον πρὸς ἀλλήλους· τίς ἄρα
οὗτός ἐστιν ὅτι καὶ ὁ ἄνεμος καὶ ἡ
θάλασσα ὑπακούει αὐτῷ;

MARK 4:41 KAI EFOBHQHSAN FOBON MEGAN KAI ELEGON PROS ALLHLOUS· TIS ARA
hOUTOS ESTIN hOTI KAI hO ANEMOS KAI hH QALASSA hUPAKOUEI AUTWi;

Here we see that hO ANEMOS KAI hH QALASSA are capable of being
obedient. Another insult to the modernist framework :-)

Elizabeth Kline