[B-Greek] Galatians 1:6-7

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Wed Jun 10 23:07:15 EDT 2009

Elizabeth,

My primary comment was based on Xenophon, not Aristophanes. I based my comment on a very rough translation, without broader context. Upon reading a translation this evening, either he took some liberty or things are very different in Attic. Sorry for overclaiming, I responded in haste without looking further into the matter.

With regard to Aristophanes, the third woman is contradicting the claim of Mnesilochus, and the exception begins her speech. This would mean that it is somehow eliptical, or that it is somehow an independent clause. I have nothing to offer regarding this instance. How about "stylistic" or perhaps "emphatic" usage? The explanation works for others...

Steve