[B-Greek] polycarp: chap.3-gen. absolutes refer to what

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Jun 8 04:37:49 EDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 9:39 PM, walt seevers wrote:

> The conversation about Polycarp made me take up mine. I have a
> question about the following:
> OS KAI APWN UMIN EGRAPSEN EPISTOLAS, EIS AS EAN EGKUPTHTE,
> DUNHQHSESQE OIKODOMEISQAI EIS THN DOQEISAN UMIN PISTIN. HTIS ESTIN
> MHTHR PANTWN HMWN, EPAKOLOUQOUSHS THS ELPIDOS, PROAGOUSHS THS AGAPHS
> THS EIS QEON (KAI TA LOIPA)
> The phrase EPAKOLOUQOUSHS THS ELPIDOS, PROAGOUSHS THS AGAPHS is two
> genitive absolutes. The Lightfoot commentary says PROAGOUSHS refers
> "to ELPIS, not to PISTIS, for PISTIS precedes AGAPH." So does the
> latter genitive absolute modify the former?
> So what is hope following after and what is love going before? If I
> understand the order, hope follows after faith and love goes before
> faith, since faith is the main subject-HTIS.
> thanks for the inspiration,
> Walt Seevers
> Missoula, Montana

I lay no claim to inspiration and I hesitate to contradict the
Lightfoot commentary, if that is what it says, but for my part I would
have thought (do think) that THS AGAPHS is the subject rather than a
genitive complement to PROAGOUSHS: PROAGW is normally a transitive
verb and takes an accusative of the person or thing preceded. So I'd
understand this as "faith, which is the mother of us all, hope coming
in its train and love for God leading the way."