[B-Greek] polycarp: chap.3-gen. absolutes refer to what

walt seevers lws39 at juno.com
Sun Jun 7 21:39:14 EDT 2009

The conversation about Polycarp made me take up mine. I have a question about the following:
OS KAI APWN UMIN EGRAPSEN EPISTOLAS, EIS AS EAN EGKUPTHTE, DUNHQHSESQE OIKODOMEISQAI EIS THN DOQEISAN UMIN PISTIN. HTIS ESTIN MHTHR PANTWN HMWN, EPAKOLOUQOUSHS THS ELPIDOS, PROAGOUSHS THS AGAPHS THS EIS QEON (KAI TA LOIPA)
The phrase EPAKOLOUQOUSHS THS ELPIDOS, PROAGOUSHS THS AGAPHS is two genitive absolutes. The Lightfoot commentary says PROAGOUSHS refers "to ELPIS, not to PISTIS, for PISTIS precedes AGAPH." So does the latter genitive absolute modify the former?
So what is hope following after and what is love going before? If I understand the order, hope follows after faith and love goes before faith, since faith is the main subject-HTIS.
thanks for the inspiration,
Walt Seevers
Missoula, Montana