[B-Greek] ESTIN Accent?

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Tue Jun 2 18:39:35 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

I have examined every instance of paroxytone ESTIN in the NT and I am
satisfied that I can explain its use in every case except Rev 17:18.

KAI hH GYNH HN EIDES E/STIN hH POLIS hH MEGALH hH EXOUSA BASILEIAN EPI
TWN BASILEWN THS GHS.

In vss 8, 10 and 11 as well as in 21:1 the reason for the accented penult
is apparent: E/STIN is existential. But it certainly is not in 17:18. So
my question is: Why did the editors choose to accent E/STIN as
paroxytone?

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi - qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
West Haven, Connecticut USA