[B-Greek] Is this a good way to give students 'translation' lessons?

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Jun 2 07:57:48 EDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 7:45 AM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> Hope this hasn't been discussed recently. If so, please forgive me.
>
> This is an alternative way of teaching Greek that allows for actual
> NT examples and shows how the words function. [Taken from Dr.
> Decker's blog.] Why couldn't this work for advanced Greek??

I thought something was strange about this. I just went back to this
entry in Rod's blog (http://ntresources.com/blog/?p=536) and read his
introduction to these exercises: "Here is a sample that illustrates
two different techniques that might be used very early. The assumption
in these examples is that the student knows only the alphabet and has
just learned the basic functions of the cases. And he has either a
vocab list or a lexicon."

So these were not intended at all for advanced Greek. I really wonder
why students in advanced Greek should be doing translation exercises
at all; I think they should be reading voluminously and thinking as
little as possible about converting what they read into their native
language.