[B-Greek] HQELON OUN LABEIN AUTON EIS TO PLOION Jn 6:21

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 15:46:12 EDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> JOHN 6:19 ELHLAKOTES OUN hWS STADIOUS EIKOSI PENTE H TRIAKONTA
> QEWROUSIN TON IHSOUN PERIPATOUNTA EPI THS QALASSHS KAI EGGUS TOU
> PLOIOU GINOMENON, KAI EFOBHQHSAN.  20 hO DE LEGEI AUTOIS: EGW EIMI: MH
> FOBEISQE.  21 HQELON OUN LABEIN AUTON EIS TO PLOION, KAI EUQEWS
> EGENETO TO PLOION EPI THS GHS EIS hHN hUPHGON.
>

> The clause HQELON OUN LABEIN AUTON EIS TO PLOION has been understood
> by some as an unfufilled wish but it might better understood as an
> answer to QEWROUSIN TON IHSOUN PERIPATOUNTA EPI THS QALASSHS KAI EGGUS
> TOU PLOIOU GINOMENON, KAI EFOBHQHSAN. First hOI MAQHATAI were fearful
> as IHSOUS approached them but after he spoke to them they were
> willing, i.e. HQELON indicating consent in contrast to fear, with no
> particular emphasis on desire or wishing. Both *LSJ 479.1 and
> *Cunliffe 106.2.a indicate that EQLEW is sometimes used of consent
> without the notion of wishing or desire. See also Moffatt's version
> "So they agreed to take him on board."

To certain extent this question hinges on how one understands OUN in
HQELON OUN LABEIN AUTON EIS TO PLOION. John uses OUN often as a means
of moving the narrative along perhaps indicating a transition, without
any notion of result or inference see Danker under OUN. However in
this particular place I think Alford is correct that OUN indicates a
change of state on the part of hOI MAQHATAI brought about by Jesus'
greeting: "EGW EIMI: MH FOBEISQE". Alford (GK Test. p759) "... it is
absolutely necessary to account for OUN ... "  and  "They were afraid:
-- but being reassured by His voice, they were willing to take Him
into the ship."

Elizabeth Kline