[B-Greek] Beginning Exercises

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Fri May 30 00:14:48 EDT 2008

It struck me the other day that one of the reasons the editorial Greek of
many of the beginning textbooks is "easy" is because students are given one
or two glosses for each vocabulary item, and then the exercises are designed
with those glosses in mind.  Upon reading their first real author, students
quickly discover that even their favorite vocabulary often has a range of
meaning far exceeding the meager glosses of their beginning text  -- I was
joking with my students the other day, it always seems to be the the third
listing from the end in a two column two page article in the lexicon...

This, of course, reflects nothing of real reading experience.  Which is
better, to keep it easy to develop a better foundation for reading, or to
expose students to more complex semantic range early on?

N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Fecisti nos ad te et inquietum est cor nostrum, donec requiescat in te...
    -- Augustine, Confessions 1:1

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry/
http://my.opera.com/BarryHofstetter/blog/