[B-Greek] LXX Genesis 1:2 - tohu as AORATOS

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 22:53:40 EDT 2008

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> But that is AORISTOS: ever heard of the "aorist" 'tense'?
> What French calls "le passé indéfini"?
>
> The root of hORIZW is hOROS, 'boundary'; there's no
> relationship to fORA, the root of hORAW.

Interestingly, according to Hatch & Redpath the LXX
never uses AORISTOS. But it does use AMORFOS precisely
one time - Wisdom 11:17:

OU GAR HPOREI H PANTODUNAMOS SOU CEIR
KAI KTISASA TON KOSMON EX AMORFOU hULHS
EPIPEMYAI AUTOIS PLHQOS ARKWN H QRASEIS LEONTAS

NETS:
For your all-powerful hand,
which created the world out of formless matter,
was not at a loss to send out on them a multitude of bears or bold lions.

I wonder why AMORFOS was not used for tohu?

  Eric S. Weiss