[B-Greek] LXX Genesis 1:2 - tohu as AORATOS

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Wed May 28 12:30:49 EDT 2008

>> Jerry Reimer <Jerry at lsm.org> wrote:
>>  Seems illogical that actual invisibility could be meant by AORATOS
>> although
>> the adjective does contain this as one of its meanings. Undefined,
>> unrecognizable seems better here. Appears to a ballpark equivalent
>> for
>> Hebrew underneath and that whatever the meaning of the Hebrew
>> vorlage is (I
>> am not knowledgeable as to its meaning) should be what defines the
>> LXX
>> rendering rather than either the etymology of the Greek adjective or
>> even
>> its usual literal meaning. Is this an example of Hebrew Greek?
Are you thus suggesting that the Greek word be assigned the sense of
its Hebrew counterpart? I doubt that this is viable lexicography.
Moreover, wouldn't such a procedure logically make translating
senseless?
I should think one might better assume that a Greek word in the LXX
has the same sense it has in standard usage——until proven otherwise.
Al