[B-Greek] LXX Genesis 1:2 - tohu as AORATOS

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 12:20:49 EDT 2008

So you're saying that AORISTOS is perhaps a more accurate translation of tohu
  than AORATOS?

  Which does indeed suggest exegesis or Platonizing going on in the LXX.

Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:
  On May 28, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Eric S. Weiss wrote:

> I would guess that a word related to hORIZW would better mean
> "undefined" for tohu
> than a word like AORATOS which is related to hORAW. But maybe they
> are related
> to each other.

But that is AORISTOS: ever heard of the "aorist" 'tense'? What French
calls "le passé indéfini"?

The root of hORIZW is hOROS, 'boundary'; there's no relationship to
fORA, the root of hORAW.

  Eric S. Weiss