[B-Greek] LXX Genesis 1:2 - tohu as AORATOS

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Wed May 28 11:40:37 EDT 2008

I'll limit myself to commenting on the second half of the question.
If it is correct that Hebrew TOHU WBOHU means (roughly) "formless and
void" (so NRSV) and if a proper translation is thought of as the
closest conceptual approximation in the target language, no, AORATOS
is not a proper translation. Several scholars have pointed to Plato's
Timaeus for comparison. One might therefore best call it an
exegetical rendering.
Al