[B-Greek] Reading Instead of Dissecting

nebarry at verizon.net nebarry at verizon.net
Wed May 28 09:39:58 EDT 2008

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 07:09:03 -0400
To: nebarry at verizon.net, b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org, david.pettys at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Reading Instead of Dissecting

On May 27, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Barry Hofstetter wrote:

>>I frankly don't understand Don's advice nor Barry's confidence that
persistence in thoroughgoing analysis will ultimately be rewarded by
intuitive fluent recognition. That's not my experience. <<

Simply this, and not disgreeing at all with your later observations, that
with parsing practice comes recognition.  The important thing to remember
is that it is a means to a goal, and not the goal itself.  After the
student has memorized and parsed a form a few dozen times, he or she
normally recognizes it without having to do the actual "dissection."  I
completely agree that there are other routes to the goal of intuitive
recognition.

Barry