[B-Greek] Reading Instead of Dissecting

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed May 28 07:09:03 EDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Barry Hofstetter wrote:

> [...]

I frankly don't understand Don's advice nor Barry's confidence that
persistence in thoroughgoing analysis will ultimately be rewarded by
intuitive fluent recognition. That's not my experience. I think that
John Knightley's earlier response to this question was more on target.
You do need to have instant recognition of  inflected forms of nouns,
adjectives, pronouns, verbs and adverbs, but what you really need, I
think, is to look at the phrases or natural units of Greek sentences
in the order in which they appear: e.g. Mark 2:1 	Καὶ
εἰσελθὼν πάλιν εἰς Καφαρναοὺμ δι᾿
ἡμερῶν ἠκούσθη ὅτι ἐν οἴκῳ ἐστίν.
KAI EISELQWN PALIN EIS KAFARNAOUM DI' hHMERWN HKOUSQH hOTI EN OIKWi
ESTIN. This falls naturally into the sequence, KAI EISELQWN PALIN EIS
KAFARNAOUM/ DI' hHMERWN HKOUSQH/ hOTI EN OIKWi ESTIN. NET conveys this
as, "Now after some days, when he returned to Capernaum, the news
spread that he was at home." If you're translating the way NET does,
you have to rearrange this so that the Greek words KAI ... DI'
hHMERWN  are the first English unit; then comes EISELQWN PALIN EIS
KAFARNAOUM; and finally HKOUSQH hOTI EN OIKWi ESTIN. That's a process
I would prefer to call "decoding" -- and I would think that's what
David Pettys wants to get away from in order to reading the Greek text
as it is written without analyzing it.

I think that the procedure John Knightley has suggested is sensible.
You might look at Jonathan Robie's GNT that's been marked off in
natural units such as this and the thread of May 25,2007+ entitled
"Lining out a Greek Text." Jonathan posted his procedure at http://ibiblio.org/koine/greek/liningout/liningout.html
  = http://tinyurl.com/3joy9x

Randall would want me to note also the value of his course books with
accompanying CD's, "Living Koine Greek," available at http://www.biblicalulpan.org/
  (click on "Online orders"). You need to hear words that are
meaningful, phrases that are meaningful, sentences that are
meaningful; you need to internalize the way Koine Greek works on mind
and tongue and ear. But I just don't see how one will ever get to
"reading instead of dissecting" by continuing to do more dissecting.