[B-Greek] Computer analyses of Greek words (NT and OT, and extra-biblical if possible)

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 08:26:58 EDT 2008

> Accordance does allow this type of searching. You can check for
> words within so many words of each other. Or you can specify that
> they must precede or follow another word.

If you are going to start tinkering and inventing new analysis techniques, I would
have to suggest at least looking at general purpose tools. Of course,
you always need to test and check your own results carefully but you probably want to
have some way to verify the pre-packaged programs too.
I don't want to comment in ignorance on the relative merits of specialized code versus
more general tools, but since at least one other person here is familiar with the linux tools,
let me put forth a quick example using English text as an illustration of the linux tools.
I have no idea how to easily adapt to foreign text but perhaps someone else here can comment.

I downloaded the KJV text from here,

506  wget -O kjv.zip -S -v "http://patriot.net/users/bmcgin/kjv12.zip"

and used a frequency analysis program I earlier downloaded from here,

http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?topic=perlfaq6

I typed a cygwin command line like this ( you can look this stuff up, but the first command
prints the text, the stuff in the middle isolates Bible text from headers and credits,
translates the text to lower case,  and "freqassoc" is the word counting program
that puts a vocabulary list into bibvoc):

  520  more bible12.txt  | grep -v "^ *Book [0-9]" | grep -A 4 "^[0-9][0-9][0-9]
:[0-9][0-9][0-9]" | cut -c8-1000 | tr [A-Z] [a-z] | freqassoc | sort -g -r > bi
bvoc

bibvoc is now a sorted word list that starts as follows,

$ head -n 10 bibvoc
63816 the
51638 and
34557 of
12894 that
12647 in
10407 he
9818 shall
8985 unto
8955 for

Because I use the same scripts for searching medical literature, I already have tools for
removing "common words" from the analysis. In this case, I took a vocabulary list from
some sociology literature ( unfortunately, this does remove "Lord" and leaves Old English terms but you get the
idea) ,

524  eutilparse -diff bibvoc ~/soc_vocab | sort -g -r | more

8985 unto
5468 thou
4594 thy
4461 god
3981 ye
3820 thee
2264 hath
1614 shalt
1326 behold
1259 saith
1069 hast
936 thine
845 moses
815 judah
812 jerusalem
611 egypt
609 holy
587 spake
583 heaven
563 brethren
548 fathers
544 priest
480 servants

I tried to do a quick test and find a list of all words occuring immediately after Jesus, and obtained the following,
( again, you need to verify and clean  up for possible problems like punctuation, etc, but this illustrates the idea):

$ head -n 10 bibvoj
198 christ
68 and
65 said
64 answered
43 saith
24 was
24 had
21 went
19 unto
19 of

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: Hotmail is possibly blocking my mom's entire
ISP - try  me on marchywka at yahoo.com if no reply
here. Thanks.