[B-Greek] Reading Instead of Dissecting

vunzndi at vfemail.net vunzndi at vfemail.net
Sun May 25 22:48:59 EDT 2008

Dear David,

there are two main reasons for dissecting:-

(1) habbit - if during study everytime you see a phrase or sentance
you dissect and translate it, then one will do the same when new sees
new sentances. The solution is specifically pratice using Greek
without translating it.

(2) biting off more than you can chew. Where sentances conatin a lot
of material that is hard to understand then one has to break itn down
in some way.

The solution is therefore to find material that you can undertsand -
either written or recorded, and build up from that. Start with
something that is easy for your, the idea is to develope a new way of
reading Greek not new coontent. Something like Dobsons Learn NT
Testament Greek, which has a CD/tape and lots of examples can be
helpful. In may only take you a 4-8 weeks to go through but it should
help break the dissecting habbit. Then you need to progress onto
something else.

The problem with Kione Greek is the limited amount of easy to read
material around, which is what one needs after finishing Dobson. In
Chinese I manage to achieve this by reading science fiction novels by
a Hong Kong author who writes a new book every two or three weeks.
Some other on this list may know of suitable material for someone who
has studied for a year and has the habbit of reading in Greek.

Talking to oneself in Greek - just a minute at a time to begin with
(stop as soon as you get tired) two or three times a day also helps.

People often contrast Koine Greek to OT Hebrew - with OT Hebrew people
read aloud, recite from memory, pray and sing - and listen to others
doing the same, all of which help one to a certain level to think in
Hebrew, and the same can be true for Greek.

Regrds
John Knightley