[B-Greek] koine to classical (not!)

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Tue May 20 20:04:38 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Conrad" <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
To: "Mark Lightman" <lightmanmark at yahoo.com>
Cc: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>; "David Pettys" <david.pettys at yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] koine to classical (not!)

> I really wonder how many times one can re-read Hebrews without having
> memorized it and assimilated just about all that it can teach you
> about Greek. On the other hand, I rather think that reading some Plato
> might add to one's appreciation of Hebrews. But the main reason for
> reading classical Greek texts as well as Greek texts that are
> contemporaneous with and later than the GNT is because they are worth
> reading -- I wouldn't recommend them SOLELY for the sake of
> enhancement of competence in reading the GNT, but that constitutes a
> secondary value to reading them, a value of considerable significance.

Amen, brother Carl!  Great literature from any period is its own
justification.  Somebody also commented on the connectedness of the
language.  I remember when I first saw ANDRES AQHNAIOI in Acts, after having
read Plato and Thucydides.  It helped me feel the "matrix" of the ancient
world, the continuity that its inhabitants must have felt, in a way nothing
else could have...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor, WRTS
http://www.wittenbergreformed.org