[B-Greek] PEIRAW Wisdom Sol. 12:26

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Tue May 20 17:47:28 EDT 2008

  Wis. 12:26 οἱ δὲ παιγνίοις ἐπιτιμήσεως
μὴ νουθετηθέντες ἀξίαν θεοῦ κρίσιν
πειράσουσιν  27 ἐφ᾿ οἷς γὰρ αὐτοὶ
πάσχοντες ἠγανάκτουν ἐπὶ τούτοις
οὓς ἐδόκουν θεούς ἐν αὐτοῖς
κολαζόμενοι ἰδόντες ὃν πάλαι
ἠρνοῦντο εἰδέναι θεὸν ἐπέγνωσαν
ἀληθῆ διὸ καὶ τὸ τέρμα τῆς
καταδίκης ἐπ᾿ αὐτοὺς ἐπῆλθεν

26 hOI DE PAIGNIOIS EPITIMHSEWS MH NOUQETHQENTES AXIAN QEOU KRISIN
PEIRASOUSIN  27 EF hOIS GAR AUTOI PASCONTES HGANAKTOUN EPI TOUTOIS
hOUS EDOKOUN QEOUS EN AUTOIS KOLAZOMENOI IDONTES hON PALAI HRNOUNTO
EIDENAI QEON EPEGNWSAN ALHQH DIO KAI TO TERMA THS KATADIKHS EP AUTOUS
EPHLQEN

The RSV and LEH gloss PEIRASOUSIN in Wis. 12:26 "experience" which
would make the active voice 'subject affected' which is in keeping
with the idea that the active voice is unmarked for subject
affectedness.
  Given the context I wonder if this is the only way PEIRASOUSIN might
be understood. If we construe PEIRASOUSIN with AXIAN QEOU KRISIN as an
object it seems like "make a trial of" or "put to the test" might also
serve.

I suspect there is something in the context I have overlooked, being
basically unfamiliar with Wisdom Sol. I am reading it as background
material for Rom 1:18-32.

Elizabeth Kline