[B-Greek] Episunagoge

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Sat May 17 00:16:20 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Shannon" <stevenmarshallshannon at gmail.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 3:51 PM
Subject: [B-Greek] Episunagoge

> It seems that Hebrews 10:25 is referring to the coming of the Lord, the
> day
> when we are gathered together with Him, rather than referring to the
> responsibility we have in attending church as evidenced by the fact that
> the
> Greek feminine noun episunagoge appears as a singular noun in the
> accusative
> case 'episunagogen', and therefore in agreement with the Greek feminine
> noun
> hemera which also appears as singular noun in the accusative case
> 'hemeran'.

Your other correspondents have not mentioned that EPISUNAGWGHN does not
modify hHMERAN or even stand in apposition with it.  Being the same number,
gender, case is irrelevant, since both nouns are feminine, accusative
singular due to the properties of the words and their usage in their
clauses.

> The only time episunagoge occurs elsewhere in the New Testament is in 2
> Thessalonians 2:1 where it is used in regard to our being gathered
> together
> with Christ at His coming.

That does not mean it is so used in Heb 10:25.  Context is everything...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor, WRTS
http://www.wittenbergreformed.org
Mentor, TNARS http://www.tnars.net/