[B-Greek] Episunagoge

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 19:03:35 EDT 2008

It's always best to include the text under discussion.
 μὴ ἐγκαταλείποντες τὴν ἐπισυναγωγὴν ἑαυτῶν, καθὼς ἔθος τισίν, ἀλλὰ παρακαλοῦντες, καὶ τοσούτῳ μᾶλλον ὅσῳ βλέπετε ἐγγίζουσαν τὴν ἡμέραν.
MH EGKATALEIPONTES THN EPISUNAGWGHN hEAUTWN, KAQWS EQOS TISIN, ALLA PARAKALOUNTES, KAI TOSOUTWi MALLON hOSWi BLEPETE EGGIZOUSAN THN hHMERAN.
It seems obvious that τὴν ἐπισυναγωγὴν ἑαυτῶν [THN EPISUNAGWGHN hAUTWN] CANNOT reference the time of Christ's coming since it is conceived as something yet to happen whereas here he references it as καθὼς ἔθος τισίν [EQOS TISIN], i.e. as something which is even then taking place at the time he is writing.  It does seem that he is referring to the coming of Christ when he says ἐγγίζουσαν τὴν ἡμέραν [EGGIZOUSAN THN hHMERAN].  There are a few references to ἡμέρα [hHMERA] in Hebrews.
1.  3.8 "the day" of testing in the wilderness
2.  5.7 "the day" of Christ's life on earth
3.  8.8 "the day" when God institutes a new covenant with Israel
4.  8.9 "the day" when God led Israel from Egypt
5.  The current passage
None of the other passages seem to carry such an implication.  We do find something in Amos which is referenced in 2 Peter 3.10

18     Alas for you who desire the day of the Lord!
Why do you want the day of the Lord?
It is darkness, not light;
19     as if someone fled from a lion,
and was met by a bear;
or went into the house and rested a hand against the wall,
and was bitten by a snake.
20     Is not the day of the Lorddarkness, not light,
and gloom with no brightness in it?
The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (Am 5:18-20). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
οἱ δὲ νῦν οὐρανοὶ καὶ ἡ γῆ τῷ αὐτῷ λόγῳ τεθησαυρισμένοι εἰσὶν πυρὶ τηρούμενοι εἰς ἡμέραν κρίσεως καὶ ἀπωλείας τῶν ἀσεβῶν ἀνθρώπων.
hOI DE NUN OURANOI KAI hH GH TWi AUTWi LOGWi TEQHSAURISMENOI EISN PURI THROUMENOI EIS hHMERAN KRISEW KAI APWLEIAS TWN ASEBWN ANQRWPWN george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus