[B-Greek] APEQANOMEN THi

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri May 16 08:04:25 EDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 5:30 PM, John Wilking wrote:

> I haven't found any discussion of APEQANOMEN THi as a possible
> metaphor in Romans 6:2, APEQANOMEN THi hAMARTIAi.

There's been no response to this as yet. I really don't want to
initiate a discussion that involves doctrinal perspectives here.

Text: Rom. 6:1 	Τί οὖν ἐροῦμεν; ἐπιμένωμεν
τῇ ἁμαρτίᾳ, ἵνα ἡ χάρις πλεονάσῃ;  2
μὴ γένοιτο. οἵτινες ἀπεθάνομεν τῇ
ἁμαρτίᾳ, πῶς ἔτι ζήσομεν ἐν αὐτῇ;  3
ἢ ἀγνοεῖτε ὅτι, ὅσοι ἐβαπτίσθημεν
εἰς Χριστὸν Ἰησοῦν, εἰς τὸν θάνατον
αὐτοῦ ἐβαπτίσθημεν;  4 συνετάφημεν
οὖν αὐτῷ διὰ τοῦ βαπτίσματος εἰς
τὸν θάνατον, ἵνα ὥσπερ ἠγέρθη
Χριστὸς ἐκ νεκρῶν διὰ τῆς δόξης τοῦ
πατρός, οὕτως καὶ ἡμεῖς ἐν
καινότητι ζωῆς περιπατήσωμεν.
[TI OUN EROUMEN? EPIMENWMEN THi hAMARTIAi, hINA hH CARIS PLEONASHi? 2
MH GENOITO. hOITINES APEQANOMEN THi hAMARTIAi, PWS ETI ZHSOMEN EN
AUTHi? 3 H AGNOEITE hOTI, hOSOI EBAPTISQHMEN EIS CRISTON IHSOUN, EIS
TON QANATON AUTOU EBAPTISQHMEN? 4 SUNETAFHMEN OUN AUTWi DIA TOU
BAPTISMATOS EIS TON QANATON, hINA hWSPER HGERQH CRISTOS EK NEKRWN DIA
THS DOXHS TOU PATROS, hOUTWS KAI hHMEIS EN KAINOTHTI ZWHS PERIPATWMEN.

Whether one prefers to speak of metaphor here is an open question, but
it seems to me that the conceptualization here is clear: the baptismal
ritual is understood in terms of dying and rising with Christ, which
is equated here with dying of one's former self (PALAIOS ANQRWPOS) and
birth of one's new self; the old self is associated with Sin as a
cosmic power or force that controls or governs the old self, while the
new self is free from Sin and open to obedience through the Spirit.
The conceptual framework is standard in Paul's writing, especially in
Romans.